Thursday, January 21, 2010

What is "noshing?"

Nosh is a Yiddish word meaning "snack" or "nibble." It is both a noun and a verb. "We are having a nosh." "I was noshing on a bagel yesterday."

Going by that particular definition, I am not really going to be noshing, more like aynshlingen, which means "devour or gobble."

What am I going to be devouring? My goal is to read every single one of the South Carolina Book Award Nominees for 2010-2011. That list is posted here. I intend to read every book in each of the four categories before June 3, 2010, which is the last day of school. 

Why? Because the JBA and YABA portions of the list will comprise the summer reading list for the Middle School grades, and I felt really dorky last summer not being able to talk about any of the books when asked by students. I was unable to recommend individual books because of my complete ignorance of everything about them.

Not this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment